PRESS / MEDIA STATEMENT AND HANDOUT NOTES
NMEPC has reviewed the Letter from the Minister of Natural Resources.
* Are encouraged the Minister states she does not see how the project could proceed on the Nor’Westers as the Developer could never mitigate the damages done to the endangered Peregrine Falcons.
* We believe that it is not only the Peregrine Falcons, but there are multiple reasons this project should be shut down (ie. Protection of all escarpment locations, protected watershed, FWFN traditional hunting ground, rare to the area Maple Forest, Tourism, Property Values, Viewshed, Health, Topography, etc.)
* We ask that both the Premier and the Minister of Environment stand up and issue a statement in support of their Minister of Natural Resources and MPP Bill Mauro’s position that this is the WRONG LOCATION for this project.
NMEPC has prepared a distribution pamphlet providing all of the background information of the project. Attached.
* It has been given to all the political candidates in both ridings
* It includes a number of question on their position and
* We will be sharing this information to the public and press verbatim (within 2 weeks).
NMEPC understands that the City of Thunder Bay and Horizon have come to terms some two weeks ago on a settlement of the Horizon Lawsuit ($126 Million).
* We believe that the Citizens have the right to know the terms of the settlement.
* Both the City and Horizon refuse to release this information.
* We have requested the information through the Freedom of Information Act as we believe we have the Right To Know what has been negotiated for this City-owned Land.
Over the past two years we have worked hard to gather information and educate the public.
* We continue to be frustrated by the lack of an open, transparent process by all the parties involved.
* We will continue in our efforts to help the Citizens of Thunder Bay understand the project